"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6,7)
Every month seems to bring about another moment when we desperately call upon our God to bring peace and healing. Last month, we discussed the division and racial tension we are experiencing here in the U.S and the importance of how we as believers should respond.
A different tragedy has recently happened. On August 4th, the city of Beirut was shook by a catastrophic blast. It is times such as these we need to comfort, support and bring Christ to those who are hurting, suffering and in despair. The following is a recent article featured in Christianity Today. Evangelical leaders describe the damage, how Christians are helping, and the need for a hope beyond politics.
One hour later at work, and Sarah Chetti might have been one of thousands in a Beirut hospital.
Director of the INSAAF migrant worker ministry in Lebanon, Chetti’s colleagues described shards of broken glass flying through the air, and the metal frames of doors ripped from their hinges.
It was a similar experience for the one staff member inside the Youth for Christ youth center not far from the blast. To avoid the “colossal damage,” he ducked to the floor. Re-welding was necessary just to lock up the next day.
Peter Ford was fortunate. Working quietly in his faculty office at the Near East School of Theology near downtown Beirut, the first small reverberations stirred his curiosity to investigate the problem.
Moments later, the huge blast blew in his window and spewed the glass across his desk.
Miraculously, the dozen evangelical churches and ministries in Lebanon contacted by CT reported no deaths and few serious injuries caused by the massive explosion. The official national tally is now over 100 dead, with over 5,000 injured.
If they had, there would be nowhere for the bodies to go.
1. Night Light, Bangkok, Thailand - We would like to share what God has been doing through a member of the SfK MB Community operating in Bangkok, Thailand to rescue and empower the victims of human trafficking during the COVID-19 pandemic:
God has allowed us to get to know the neighborhood in the red light district through food distribution. When setting up the food, we overheard a motorcycle taxi driver saying, “God is coming down!”
As a result of the conversations that took place during the COVID food distribution, we were able to hire five new Thai women and assist 6 new International women (Russian, Moroccan, Ugandan, and Uzbek) and 2 children.
God provided some large wholesale orders for us during COVID which allowed us to keep the women employed throughout this season and pay the bills. We are so grateful for this provision and blessing.
2. Touch Nature, Kolkata, India - In every crisis there is an opportunity. Here is a testimony from another freedom business serving in Kolkata, India. We are thankful to the Lord that in the midst of a pandemic, we are able to reach out to daily wage earners, which includes vulnerable women who are trafficked. This is possible through:
Food distribution - we distributed food packages to about 500-600 people in the past few months.
Medical help - we help patients to buy medicine, do medical tests, and doctor consultation. Some are stroke and cancer patients. Many cannot afford food, let alone medical treatment. Some are literally waiting to die.
Discipleship - we are able to teach and coach our staff to be a light in the darkness. One couple did exceedingly well. They even put their lives on the line to help others.
Please pray that these freedom businesses will draw strength and encouragement from the Lord to keep serving those in need.
3. Ministry Collaboration Agreement has been signed with Freedom Films Productions in Chiang Mai, Thailand. This ministry was started by American missionaries some twenty years ago. We are excited about this opportunity to work together to serve His Kingdom. Please pray that this newfound relationship will be mutually beneficial in the long run.
4. SfK MB Academy has secured a cloud-based learning management system to significantly enhance its online training platform. Please pray that this investment in a virtual infrastructure will pave the way to an innovative solution in the mission of equipping missional businesses.
5. One of SfK's MB Community members operating in a South Asian nation has been gearing up the effort to save a Christian hospital. With financial and human resources mobilized from 350 or more people, they are renovating the Emergency Room Department and a nursing school. Please pray that they will gain God's favor in this endeavor for a successful turnaround.
6. Joybells America, the US arm for SfK MB Trading platform, has been accepted to the online platform which hundreds of regional and national retail supermarket chain stores access for potential products. The first shipment from Cambodia will arrive in September, and they are already almost sold out. Praise the Lord who has been faithfully leading us to this point. Please pray that this will build momentum to developing an expanded channel of distribution for many more products made by missional businesses.
7. A member of SfK MB Community in Egypt has signed an agreement to represent a company in Egypt, which sells dust collecting machines manufactured by a large company in Korea. Please pray that this business will help restore and preserve the planet earth we all live in.
8. Moi Coffee, the coffee division under Hesed Cambodia, has spun off as a separate company for more independent management. Please pray that this spin-off will only strengthen the growth while maintaining the collaboration dynamics.
Upcoming Events & Prayer Requests
August 22, 2020 - SfK MB Academy's new online training program BMT (Business Management Training) will be launched in two language tracks: i.e. English and Korean. Each track will provide two one-hour classes every week for 16 weeks. A total of 16 lecturers will take part in teaching. We have a few seats left for both tracks. If interested, please send an email to email@example.com for an application. Click HERE to watch the video about the training program. Please pray that this new online training program will make a breakthrough in mobilizing resources to equip missional entrepreneurs effectively.
August 7, 2020 - SfK Life Board will take place online. Please pray that the governing body will continue to seek guidance only from God for deliberation and decision.
August 14, 2020 - SfK Korea Board will take place online. A few important decisions will be deliberated for decision. Please pray that all board members will draw wisdom from the Lord.
August 31 - September 3, 2020- KBM Global Gathering will be held in Korea. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the gathering has been significantly reduced. Please pray that his gathering will be held with safety and will inspire and encourage all participants.
Thank you for standing with us in prayer and support for equipping and empowering missional businesses in Asia and Africa.
May God bless you abundantly so that you may become an even greater blessing to people in need around you and around the world.
Consider a charitable contribution in partnering with SfK